- Registration number
- Item name
- Indigenous name
- Associated cultural group
- Australia > Australia > Queensland > Cape York region
- Acquisition date
- January 01, 1947
- Acquisition method
- Foundation Donation from Australian Board of Missions
- Raw material
- Abrus seed (Abrus precatorius); shell; wax; string
- H: 80 mm W: 33 mm L: D: 35 mm Circum:
Decorative item, cylindrical-form, wax, shells, abrus seeds.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition 'In the Red; on the vibrancy of things' June 2012 - January 2013.
In the Red exhibition label: Abrus seeds are a shiny brilliant pink or scarlet when ripe and fresh. The examples here being more than 60 years old have dried and faded. Young women and girls like to wear necklaces like these in parts of PNG and the north of Australia.
The Foundation Donation comprises the items from L. P. Winterbotham's personal collection, which were donated to the University of Queensland in 1948 and form the basis of the Anthropology Museum.