- Registration number
- Item name
- Pubic cover
- Indigenous name
- Associated cultural group
- Australia > Australia > Northern Territory > Darwin-Daly region > Port Keats
- Acquisition date
- January 01, 1948
- Acquisition method
- Foundation Donation from Dr Spalding
- Raw material
- pearlshell (Pinctada margaritifera)
- H: 144 mm W: 97 mm L: D: 9 mm Circum:
Carved oval pearlshell with green string and tag looped through a hole pierced at the top; the inner nacreous surface is incised with triangle and zigzag patterns, the outer surface has a rough texture and is light brown. Registration number 499 marked with pen and tag.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition 'written on the body' curated by Judy Watson and Diana Young, March - August 2014.
The Foundation Donation comprises the items from L. P. Winterbotham's personal collection, which were donated to the University of Queensland in 1948 and form the basis of the Anthropology Museum.