- Registration number
- Item name
- Mr William Effey
- Acquisition date
- April 22, 1950
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Mr William Stephens
- Raw material
- Turtle shell (Chelonia mydas); shell (Pinctada margitifera); glass beads; plant fibre string
- H: 100 mm W: 15 mm L: D: 15 mm Circum:
Shell fishing hook; turtle shell barb bound with plant fibre string to mother-of-pearl shell shank; bottom of shank has two notches carved on either side; small triangular section of shell carved at the top of the shank with a groove carved around it; red, white and blue glass beads attached to bottom of shank; decorative design incised on back of shank. Registration number 4431 marked with pen and tag.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition ‘Solomon Islands: Re-enchantment and the Colonial Shadow’, a scholarly project curated by Diana Young in collaboration with research consultants Graham Baines, Annie Ross, Clive Moore and David Akin, August 2016 – June 2017.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition 'In the Red; on the vibrancy of things' June 2012 - January 2013. In the Red exhibition label: Bonito fish hook, c. 1916-1936. The pearl shell lure for bonito mimics a small fish. Much importance was placed on the quality and shine of the lure. the hackle and how the hook was placed in the water. The lack of a barb on the hook enabled the fishermen to quickly jerk the fish out of the water and into their canoe, replacing the line into the water in rapid succession.
William Effey was an Australian businessman in Queensland who owned Rowes Cafe in Brisbane and was a shareholder of Hivo Plantations Ltd, which operated a copra plantation in Haevo, Santa Isabel from around 1913 to 1936. Although Effey did not live in Haevo he collected many items through his contacts during his visits possibly up until the 1940's [Effey source file].