- Indigenous name
- lakuo (Lihir language)
- Barth Saien
- Associated cultural group
- Pacific > Papua New Guinea > New Ireland Province > Lihir Island Group
- Lihir Cultural Heritage Association (LCHA)
- Acquisition date
- August 01, 2013
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Lihir Cultural Heritage Association (LCHA) and Lihir Mining Area Landowners Association (LMALA)
- Raw material
- bamboo; fern leaves (Diplazium sp.); cardboard; acrylic paint; synthetic feathers; plastic beads; string
- H: 470 mm W: 240 mm L: D: Circum:
Cone-shaped head ornament with 'arms'; base is made with bamboo strips and wrapped with fern leaves; top section is made with cardboard painted yellow, red, black, blue and white; a face is painted on the cone and pointed triangles protrude from the 'arms'; dyed and un-dyed feathers protrude from the apex. Registration number 40671 marked with tag.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition 'Musical Landscapes of Lihir' March - August 2013, curated by Dr Kirsty Gillespie and the Lihir Cultural Heritage Association with Dr Diana Young. The making of these Lihir performance items was commissioned in 2012 by LCHA for display in this exhibition.
Also known as lkuo (Masahet dialect).