- Registration number
- Item name
- Indigenous name
- kuk lelen (Lihir language)
- John Ngala and Barth Saien
- Associated cultural group
- Pacific > Papua New Guinea > New Ireland Province > Lihir Island Group
- Lihir Cultural Heritage Association (LCHA)
- Acquisition date
- August 01, 2013
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Lihir Cultural Heritage Association (LCHA) and Lihir Mining Area Landowners Association (LMALA)
- Raw material
- seed pods; string; acrylic paint
- H: 100 mm W: 140 mm L: D: 100 mm Circum:
Seed pod rattle made with 11 pods attached by a fibre string handle; outer surface of seed pods are painted brown. registration number 40668 marked with tag.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition 'Musical Landscapes of Lihir' March - August 2013, curated by Dr Kirsty Gillespie and the Lihir Cultural Heritage Association with Dr Diana Young. The making of these Lihir performance items was commissioned in 2012 by LCHA for display in this exhibition.
Exhibition label: John Ngla, painted by Barth Saien, c. 2012. Rattles are integral to performance as both sound and costume.