- Registration number
- Item name
- Clap stick
- Indigenous name
- keleng (Lihir language)
- Barth Saien and Constantine Kabariu
- Associated cultural group
- Pacific > Papua New Guinea > New Ireland Province > Lihir Island Group
- Lihir Cultural Heritage Association (LCHA)
- Acquisition date
- August 01, 2013
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Lihir Cultural Heritage Association (LCHA) and Lihir Mining Area Landowners Association (LMALA)
- Raw material
- bamboo; acrylic paint; permanent marker
- H: 10 mm W: 40 mm L: 150 mm D: Circum:
Small ellipse-shaped bamboo clapper; underside is concave and painted red; top surface is marked with black curvilinear designs. Registration number 40660 marked with tag.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition 'Musical Landscapes of Lihir' March - August 2013, curated by Dr Kirsty Gillespie and the Lihir Cultural Heritage Association with Dr Diana Young. The making of these Lihir performance items was commissioned in 2012 by LCHA for display in this exhibition.
Keleng made by Barth Saien, surface designs by Constantine Kabariu, 2012. This keleng or clap stick is used with clap stick 40661.