- Registration number
- Item name
- Shell money
- Indigenous name
- Associated cultural group
- Pacific > Papua New Guinea > East New Britain Province
- Ms Kathleen Carman
- Acquisition date
- April 17, 2012
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Ms Kathleen Carman
- Raw material
- Cowrie shell (Cypraeidae sp), vine, wool
- H: 20 mm W: 375 mm L: D: 310 mm Circum:
Three skeins of shell money made from Cypraeidae/cowrie shells strung onto vine and bound with green wool.
Given to Kathleen Carman as a farewell gift from Appelis Move. Appelis had arranged for a man to bespell Kathleen’s house with ginger and lime following a break in. Kathleen had had to buy some shell money from Appelis to pay the magician. These shells are difficult to obtain and are traded in from West New Britain from Nuvuneram Village [Kathleen Carman, 2012].