- Registration number
- Item name
- Indigenous name
- Associated cultural group
- Pacific > Solomon Islands > Guadalcanal Province > Guadalcanal Island > Honiara
- Mrs Jean and Mr Russell Herbert
- Acquisition date
- September 02, 2011
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Mrs Jean Herbert
- Raw material
- H: W: 45 mm L: 550 mm D: 40 mm Circum:
Bamboo fire tongs, incised.
Kitchen tongs. Green bamboo is heated so it can be bent into shape. These tongs are used primarily for lifting and repositioning hot oven stones; sometimes hot leaf-wrapped food parcels cooking in an earth oven. The design of light zigzag incisions are made with a knife [G. Baines, 07/04/2013].
Purchased at Honiara wharf or market in 1982 [Jean Herbert catalogue notes].