- Registration number
- Item name
- Food container
- Indigenous name
- Associated cultural group
- Pacific > Solomon Islands > Makira-Ulawa Province > Owahara (Santa Ana) Island
- Mrs Jean and Mr Russell Herbert
- Acquisition date
- September 02, 2011
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Mrs Jean Herbert
- Raw material
- H: 60 mm W: 56 mm L: 180 mm D: Circum:
Small food container carved from wood and blackened; a bird and fish are carved at one end; underside of the container is rounded; and rim of bowl near bird is inlaid with shell.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition ‘Solomon Islands: Re-enchantment and the Colonial Shadow’, a scholarly project curated by Diana Young in collaboration with research consultants Graham Baines, Annie Ross, Clive Moore and David Akin, August 2016 – June 2017.
Purchased at the Honiara wharf or market in 1982 [Jean Herbert catalogue notes, 2009].