- Registration number
- Item name
- Indigenous name
- Associated cultural group
- Pacific > Solomon Islands > Temotu (Eastern Islands) Province > Santa Cruz Islands
- Mrs Jean and Mr Russell Herbert
- Acquisition date
- September 02, 2011
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Mrs Jean Herbert
- Raw material
- H: W: 64 mm L: 310 mm D: Circum:
Heavy, black tapa beater with grooved head, carved handle and rounded ends.
Purchased at the Honiara wharf or market in 1981 [Jean Herbert catalogue notes, 2009]. This item is typical of the type of mallet that is found throughout the Solomon Islands and Fiji; always made of a particularly heavy wood [G. Baines, 07/04/2013].