- Registration number
- Item name
- Shell money
- Indigenous name
- Associated cultural group
- Pacific > Solomon Islands > Malaita Province > Malaita Island > Langalanga
- Mrs Jean and Mr Russell Herbert
- Acquisition date
- September 02, 2011
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Mrs Jean Herbert
- Raw material
- Shell beads, glass beads, turtle shell, plant fibre string
- H: W: 60 mm L: 1070 mm D: Circum:
Ten strand money bead belt in red, white, black shell, blue glass beads, turtle shell spacers; one strand made with plant fibre.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition ‘Solomon Islands: Re-enchantment and the Colonial Shadow’, a scholarly project curated by Diana Young in collaboration with research consultants Graham Baines, Annie Ross, Clive Moore and David Akin, August 2016 – June 2017.
Collected in 1982.