- Registration number
- Item name
- Spinning top
- Indigenous name
- Kookoloba`ula (Kwaio language)
- Associated cultural group
- Pacific > Solomon Islands > Guadalcanal Province > Guadalcanal Island > Honiara
- Mrs Jean and Mr Russell Herbert
- Acquisition date
- September 02, 2011
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Mrs Jean Herbert
- Raw material
- Seed pod; stick; Plant fibre string
- H: 150 mm W: 100 mm L: D: Circum:
Children's spinning top made from a seed pod with hole for whistling sound, stick and twine.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition ‘Solomon Islands: Re-enchantment and the Colonial Shadow’, a scholarly project curated by Diana Young in collaboration with research consultants Graham Baines, Annie Ross, Clive Moore and David Akin, August 2016 – June 2017.
Purchased at the Honiara wharf or market in 1983 [Jean Herbert catalogue notes].