- Registration number
- Item name
- Food container
- Indigenous name
- Associated cultural group
- Australia > Australia > South Australia > Central Australia > Ooldea Mission
- Acquisition date
- January 01, 1950
- Acquisition method
- Foundation Donation from Mr Harry E. Green
- Raw material
- bloodwood timber (Corymbia terminalis)
- H: 80 mm W: 350 mm L: D: 144 mm Circum:
Carved wood container with opposite sides curving upward, highest point at the centre of each side; horizontal carving marks visible on inside surface; bears writing in white: OOLDEA Native Shovel. Registration number 337 marked with pen and tag.
A container used as a digging dish as well as a food container.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition 'written on the body' curated by Judy Watson and Diana Young, March - August 2014.
The Foundation Donation comprises the items from L. P. Winterbotham's personal collection, which were donated to the University of Queensland in 1948 and form the basis of the Anthropology Museum.