Shield

placeholder
Registration number
324
Item name
Shield 
Category
Shield
 
Indigenous name
 
Maker
 
Associated cultural group
 
Place
Australia > Australia > Northern Territory > Victoria River region > Upper Victoria River
Map
Collector
Unrecorded 
Acquisition date
January 01, 1948 
Acquisition method
Foundation Donation from Miss Myrtle Jones 
Dimensions
H: W: L: D: Circum:

Description

A long round shield of dark hard-wood. The entire surface is smooth and polished. On the face “Upper Victoria River” has been painted twice, once in white and once in black, both appearing close to each other. On the back there is a longitudinal split in the centre of the body for one half the length of the shield. A similar split continues from the handle for a third of the length of the other half of the shield. One half of the back is engraved with a series of “peckered” holes creating a helix swirl, culminating is a cluster of “peckered” holes. There is a knot-hole on the face of the shield, in the centre.

Research notes

The Foundation Donation comprises the items from L. P. Winterbotham's personal collection, which were donated to the University of Queensland in 1948 and form the basis of the Anthropology Museum.

Go to top