- Registration number
- Item name
- Indigenous name
- Associated cultural group
- Australia > Australia > Queensland > Cape York region > Cardwell
- Acquisition date
- September 28, 1953
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Miss E. M. Boddington
- Raw material
- lawyer cane (Calamus sp.); ochre
- H: 440 mm W: 380 mm L: D: Circum:
Bicornual twined basket made from split lawyer cane, crescent-shaped base, rigid, open weave, split cane handle on one side, ochre.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition 'In the Red; on the vibrancy of things' June 2012 - January 2013.
In the Red exhibition label: Jawun bicornial (two cornered) basket painted for ceremony. Identified as being a sacred object by visiting artist as it is ochred.