- Registration number
- Item name
- Indigenous name
- Associated cultural group
- Australia > Australia > Queensland > Torres Strait Islands > Mer Island
- Mrs Margaret Lawrie
- Acquisition date
- January 01, 1971
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Mrs Margaret Lawrie
- Raw material
- clam shell (Tridacna maxima)
- H: 100 mm W: 355 mm L: D: 200 mm Circum:
The shell was labelled by Margaret Lawrie as a “terpar”; it was associated with the cult figure Malo. Margaret Lawrie spent many years travelling to the Torres Strait collecting stories, language, art and family history; this shell was collected in 1971.
For more information see Lawrie, M 1970, Myths and Legends of Torres Strait, Margaret Lawrie, University of Queensland Press, Brisbane.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition 'written on the body' curated by Judy Watson and Diana Young, March - August 2014.