- Registration number
- Item name
- Indigenous name
- Kilakila (Kwaio language)
- Associated cultural group
- Pacific > Solomon Islands
- Captain Sydney Mercer-Smith
- Acquisition date
- December 08, 1951
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Mr Sydney Mercer-Smith
- Raw material
- Wood; iron; shell, nautilus and conus; putty nut
- H: 1030 mm W: 170 mm L: D: 30 mm Circum:
Axe with iron head and wood handle; woven black zigzag patterning on the lower haft which tappers into a conical point. Iron head has '2' stamped on one side of blade.
The '2' stamped on the blade refers to it being a Harrison's no. 2 iron blade.
Indigenous name attributed by Clive Moore.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition ‘Solomon Islands: Re-enchantment and the Colonial Shadow’, a scholarly project curated by Diana Young in collaboration with research consultants Graham Baines, Annie Ross, Clive Moore and David Akin, August 2016 – June 2017.