- Registration number
- Item name
- Spear thrower
- Indigenous name
- Associated cultural group
- Australia > Australia > Queensland > Cape York region > Aurukun
- Miss Ursula H. McConnel
- Acquisition date
- January 01, 1950
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Miss Ursula H. McConnel
- Raw material
- ironwood, shell (Melo amphora), resin, orchid vine
- H: W: 92 mm L: 810 mm D: 20 mm Circum:
Carved wood spear thrower, tapering to both ends. At one end is a pair of white shells held together by resin; at the other end there is a small round wooden piece, with a notch towards the unfixed end. Both the shells and wooden piece are attached to the main body by resin over wrapped with yellow orchid vine.
Spear thrower made c. 1930. Original catalogue record lists the collection location as Archer River.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition 'written on the body' curated by Judy Watson and Diana Young, March - August 2014.