- Registration number
- Item name
- Indigenous name
- Associated cultural group
- Australia > Australia > Queensland > Torres Strait Islands > Saibai Island
- Mrs Margaret Lawrie
- Acquisition date
- January 01, 1971
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Mrs Margaret Lawrie
- Raw material
- Plant fibre, coconut (Cocos nucifera)
- H: 340 mm W: 280 mm L: D: 100 mm Circum:
Woven coconut leaf basket, plaited base, edges formed by split stem, handle made of a thin strip of plant fibre attached at edge. Registration number 15037 marked with tag.
Basket for carrying cooked foods and seafood; made as a temporary vessel only [ref. catalogue card].
During the 1970s Margaret Lawrie collected a number of items from the Torres Strait, especially Saibai Island, while carrying out fieldwork in that area. She later donated some of these items to the UQ Anthropology Museum. Her book 'Myths and legends of Torres Strait' was published by University of Queensland Press in 1970. her audio tape material and photographs are held in the AIATSIS library in Canberra.