- Registration number
- Item name
- Indigenous name
- Associated cultural group
- Pacific > Solomon Islands > Guadalcanal Province > Guadalcanal Island > Honiara
- Mrs Jean and Mr Russell Herbert
- Acquisition date
- September 02, 2011
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Mrs Jean Herbert
- Raw material
- bamboo, vine ?
- H: W: 260 mm L: 240 mm D: Circum:
Bamboo panpipe bound with vine, secured in place with two bamboo strips.
The row of open bamboo pipes on this panpipe produces loud, low sounds whereas closed pipes produce softer sounds. A panpipe consisting of both a row of open and closed pipes produces sympathetic resonance following the louder notes (see 22468) [D Akin 2013, pers. comm., 5 September].
Purchased from Honiara market in 1980 [ref Jean Herbert 2011].