- Registration number
- Item name
- Indigenous name
- Associated cultural group
- Pacific > Solomon Islands > Guadalcanal Province > Guadalcanal Island > Honiara
- Mrs Jean and Mr Russell Herbert
- Acquisition date
- September 02, 2011
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Mrs Jean Herbert
- Raw material
- Wood, coconut; seeds, mumu (Planchonella sp.); twine
- H: 195 mm W: 60 mm L: D: 20 mm Circum:
Rattle, dark brown coconut handle with mumu seeds attached with twine.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition ‘Solomon Islands: Re-enchantment and the Colonial Shadow’, a scholarly project curated by Diana Young in collaboration with research consultants Graham Baines, Annie Ross, Clive Moore and David Akin, August 2016 – June 2017.
Purchased in 1980 from Solomon Islands Artefacts in Honiara, a business selling custom money, artefacts, coins and stamps, run by M. Kelesi and M. Clark in 1982 [Jean Herbert catalogue notes].