- Registration number
- Item name
- Dance ornament
- Indigenous name
- Associated cultural group
- Pacific > Solomon Islands > Makira-Ulawa Province > Owahara (Santa Ana) Island
- Mrs Jean and Mr Russell Herbert
- Acquisition date
- September 02, 2011
- Acquisition method
- Donated by Mrs Jean Herbert
- Raw material
- wood, pigment
- H: 30 mm W: 105 mm L: 685 mm D: 70 mm Circum:
Dance ornament carved from wood with frigate birds and bonito fish, painted black and incised chevrons and bands of zigzags.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition ‘Solomon Islands: Re-enchantment and the Colonial Shadow’, a scholarly project curated by Diana Young in collaboration with research consultants Graham Baines, Annie Ross, Clive Moore and David Akin, August 2016 – June 2017.
Purchased at the Honiara wharf or market in 1976 [Jean Herbert catalogue notes].