- Registration number
- Item name
- Dance ornament
- Indigenous name
- Associated cultural group
- Pacific > Solomon Islands > Makira-Ulawa Province > Owahara (Santa Ana) Island
- Miss Margaret West
- Acquisition date
- July 01, 1977
- Acquisition method
- Museum field work by Miss Margaret West
- Raw material
- Wood; lime; pigment, natural
- H: 910 mm W: 135 mm L: D: 25 mm Circum:
Carved wood dance ornament with rectangular section carved in openwork with diamonds and two birds; narrow shaft has incised crayfish; opposite end is carved with a fish; incised patterns are infilled with lime on both sides. Registration number 22464 marked with tag.
From the UQ Anthropology Museum exhibition ‘Solomon Islands: Re-enchantment and the Colonial Shadow’, a scholarly project curated by Diana Young in collaboration with research consultants Graham Baines, Annie Ross, Clive Moore and David Akin, August 2016 – June 2017.
Woman's dancing stick; collected in Honiara in 1977.